Monday, June 2, 2014

DAY 1 -(HOUSTON)

AFTERNOON

Just as I am leaving for Houston's International airport I discover my zipper has broken at the bottom of my suitcase.  So I plan to stop in Huntsville and see if the Marshall's store has a replacement.

Not much time to shop, grab one of the first suitcases I find.  I think it is within regulations.  Sure hope so.  Love the 360 degree wheels.  More money than I was planning to spend, but my husband convinces me that the extra money spent will be worth it in the long run.

Quickly repack in the car and happy we still have enough time for a quick bite to eat at Cracker Barrel in Conroe.

Another unexpected event, an 18 wheeler truck blows one of its' back tires in front of our car.  The sound is so startling.  Tire tread bombards my vehicle but not apparent damage.

EVENING
Arrive to the airport and find a group member and her family have arrived.  Others in our group arrive shortly.  We now head to the ticket counter.  My suitcase's wheels are over the required length for carry on, but the ticket agent lets me pass.  Relieved.  Then find out we are all on standby.  Wondering how can this be since we went through a travel agency.  Not a good sign to start out a trip this way.  My ticket agent, Freddy, goes to speak to his boss.  Comes back and says the flight is full, but if we come to the boarding desk at 7:20, he promises to get us all onboard.

We all say our good-byes before heading to the secure area.  Next step is getting through security which proves difficult for a few of us.  One of the students is made to go back to the ticket counter and start the whole process over again because his first name was not on the pass.  Then I am told by one security person to stay on the scanner while she cleans the hands of a child, while the other security person is telling me to move on, I have been in there more than 3 seconds.  When I move the one person says, I told you to stay.  So I ask her to relay that to the other security person.  I really do not want any trouble, but the lack of communication is nerve racking.

The group relaxes in the reception area.  Time for a bathroom break and some refreshments.  Get our electronics all charged up for the 9 hour flight.  Freddy arrives so we move into place.  I hear him tell the 4 people in front of me also on standby, there are no more available flights.  I sure hope he remembers what he promised earlier.  Yes, he did we all are on.  Most of us are seated in the very rear, the tail section.

Loading into the plane is always frantic time. People hurriedly try to get their carry on luggage placed overhead, find their seats and get settled.  My seat is 37B in the middle, but a very nice man, I think he is African, changes seats with me so I can have the isle.  I am very grateful.

Being so tall, people are asking me to help them place their bags overhead.  This works to my advantage later on.  The lady directly in front of me is short, but insists on reclining her seat all the way back.  I am so tall the seat is right on top of me.  Since I agree to continue to help her get things for her young children from the overhead storage bin, she is cooperative in moving the seat to an upright position.

NIGHT


Take off is uneventful.  We quickly get to cruising altitude of 38,000 feet and just under 600 MPH.  A dinner is served within 30 minutes.  I have a pasta ravioli dish with salad.  The lemon cake is delicious.  Afterwards most passengers are settling into watching a movie.  They have a decent selection.  I try watching "12 Years A Slave", stop shortly too violent and depressing.  Instead try "Gravity".  Sorry don't know what all the fuss was about this movie, I find it was a okay story line.  Lights dim in plane cabin around 10:30 p.m.  I discover they have complimentary eye covers, so I get one.  Try to sleep but between the uncomfortable chair situation and the turbulent airflows jostling the back end, don't get much sleep on flight until I finally pass out from exhaustion for about 3-4 hours right before we land.


Artist Website



No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *