Thursday, June 5, 2014

DAY 4 (LONDON)

MORNING:
Today the groups have a "Free Day" to tour separately from the main groups.  We still eat breakfast at 8 a.m. in the hotel cafe.  I change up my choices slightly by choosing a toasted English muffin and Cafe Americano (1/2 water and a little coffee-not quite the caffeine punch).

It is our first sunny day, a little warmer with the sunshine, but still need a light jacket.  Later in the day it warms up.  Around 9 a.m. we head to the Tube and arrive above ground walking past Big Ben area.  We cross a bridge over the Thames River to the Tate Modern Museum where a Matisse exhibit, "Cut Outs" is being shown. We are able to get a student discount on the tickets.


Click on Video Matisse's Cut Outs exhibit

Matisse's work was really very interesting and inspiring.  I was able to gain insight on how his mind worked-his artistic process that created these amazing pieces.  Gives me food for thought and more ideas to apply back on campus for our Narrativity art class project. 

Also his exhibit really drove home this thought:  when you have a passion for something you will always find a way to follow that passion.  Not even his health problems stopped him from making great art.  Just have to be adaptable. 


Walking toward museum
Thames River

The Main Museum exhibits works from other artist such as: Salvador Dali, Stanley Spencer, Louise Bourgeois, Dod Proctor, and
F.E. McWilliam

AFTERNOON:
We finished touring the museum and went shopping in the gift shops.  I found several books, and souvenir items to bring home. Went to the cafe to buy a beverage. There I met a friendly, older British man who asked for my help.  He left his reading glasses at home and needed me to read the labels.  He was trying to purchase his wife's lunch.  Found out non-carbonated water is labeled STILL and carbonated is BUBBLY.  I decide to be adventuresome and try a bottle Bubbly Elderberry water.  My new acquaintance farmed and knows quite a lot about Texas farmers and our drought situation.  He was a delight and even bought my water as a way to say thank you.

Our group then heads toward the National Gallery and spy's Sir Newton's Hamburgers, "Best In London."  Cute little eclectic style cafe/pub.  A few of us  order the hamburgers.  I instead ordered a baguette pizza and salad.  Waiter came back saying, no one has asked for this in a year, so this item was no longer available.  Instead chose melted cheese on toast with baked beans and salad.  A typical fare in London and was a new fav for me.  My meal was 4.95#.  We were given a student discount here too.


Onto The National Gallery and Trafalgar Square.  This was also an amazing place of culture.  Outside the building there were street performers. chalk artist, and one watercolor artist (who made it quite clear did not like an audience while they worked.  Go figure you are out in a public place and want privacy).  

Were to add money to your country's flag
Unfortunately no photos were allowed inside Gallery.  I should have bought a guide book to remind me of all of the amazing things I saw.  There were incredible works by Rembrandt, DaVinci, Michelangelo, Moroni, Boticelli, Jardaens, Singer Sargent, Van Dyck, deHooch, Goltzius, Rubens, Gossaert, and Holbein to name a few of the many exhibited.

One of my favorite paintings was "The Ambassadors," by Hans Holbein the Younger.  I love illusionary art and check out this skull in his painting.  Here are two short You Tube clips describing what I saw.


"The Ambassadors" by Hans Holbein the Younger (1533-National Gallery-London)

The National Gallery Explanation How the Skull was created
The National Gallery Explanation of How to View the Skull
Have a little time before we are to rejoin the group so I and another student, make a quick dash to the National Portrait Gallery around the corner.  It was much smaller, but did not disappoint.  Unfortunately the main exhibit room was closed due to installation of artwork to be seen June 26th.

Time to ride the Tube again and make our way to the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge.
click on
History of Tower of London
History of Tower Bridge


Tower of London






When we all completed the walk across the bridge and find a quaint Italian restaurant up ahead.  This is where we eat dinner.  We all order a variety of dishes, mine was to be pasta primavera, but instead I was served a chicken, mushroom rigatoni.  It was tasty too.

The group split into two.  Some of us, myself included opt to go back to the hotel. My feet were swelling again and my blister has worsened.   The other group went shopping since this was our last night in London.  They also want to see Big Ben lit up at night.  This group of students were so sweet, since I couldn't shop for my postcards, they found some and got them for me to take home.  Love our group.

We finally arrive back at the hotel at 10:30 p.m.  A few of us stop at the local grocery convenience store to pick up snacks to eat on the train.  When I get to my room, I decide to pack tonight since we have a very early breakfast and check out time of 6 a.m.  We are catching a train to Paris.


ARTIST WEBSITE


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *